№158 по английскому языку за 9 класс Л.М. Лапицкая, Н.В. Демченко, А.В. Волков
авторы: Л.М. Лапицкая, Н.В. Демченко, А.В. Волков
Английский 9 класс Лапицкая страница 158
• A temporary ban on using hose pipes1 was introduced because of water shortages in several countries, including the UK.
• TV news, Internet and newspapers informed the public on how to cope with the heat — drinking plenty of water, wearing cool clothing, and staying in the shade in the middle of the day.
• In the UK speed restrictions2 for trains were introduced when the temperature was above 30 °C. This was to help avoid trains derailing.
• Workers around Europe changed their working hours. Some started earlier.
Read Parts 2 and 3 again and match the letters with the numbers.
Guess what the words in bold mean. Compare with the rest of the class.
Match the word and its definition.
1. impact on a. to damage something so badly (n) that it no longer exists or can never
return to its normal condition
2. level (n, c/u) b. a situation in which you do not
have any, or enough, of something
that you need or want
3. lack of (n, u) c. an effect, or an influence
4. destroy d. a definite height (v, t)
5. pollution e. the work, business, or study of (n, u) farming
6. glacier f. a reaction; an answer to a ques- (n, c) tion in a test, quiz, etc.
7. suffer (from) g- the process of damaging the air, (v, i) water, or land with chemicals or