№284 по английскому языку за 11 класс Н.В. Юхнель, Е.Г. Наумова, Н.В. Демченко
авторы: Н.В. Юхнель, Е.Г. Наумова, Н.В. Демченко
Учебник по английскому языку 11 класс Н.В. Юхнель. Страница 284
ably that's why Americans value direct communication. It helps to get things done quickly. "Don't beat around the bush." "Just spit it out." "Get to the point."
However, Americans also tend to lessen the damage of negative comments by saying them positively - "That's an interesting idea, but..."
Americans pride themselves on their individualism. Most Americans view individualism as the freedom - and indeed the right - to do whatever they like.
b) Read the presentation tapescript again. Find the most important piece of information you haven't included into your list or the piece of information that surprised you most. Compare with your partner's.
Would you be describing similar things when speaking about your national character? Why?
4 a) Listen to the radio programme. What is its main idea?
Listen to the programme again and say whether the following sentences are true or false.
1. Choosing a restaurant in New York requires research.
2. In American diners you can find anything from sushi to pasta and potatoes.
3. You can find some burgers and fries in an American diner.
4. Americans can't agree on what American food is.
5. A very small number of Americans can claim to come from families which are "American only" - those who identify as Native American or American Indian.
6. American character is difficult to characterize.
7. Americans like to think of themselves as "diverse" and "multi-cultural," as a "melting pot" or a "salad bowl" of nationalities.
8. The most common type of American is perhaps the American who doesn't want to be a "type" at all.
c) Read the last part of Ariana's interview. Look at the words in bold and explain how you understand them. Use the following dictionary entries to help you.