№154 по английскому языку за 9 класс Л.М. Лапицкая, Н.В. Демченко, А.В. Волков
авторы: Л.М. Лапицкая, Н.В. Демченко, А.В. Волков
Английский 9 класс Лапицкая страница 154
3 How well do you understand natural disasters? Complete the following quiz, adding the correct modal verb (may I might I must I can't) and answer the question.
Fact or fiction?
1. When you see dark clouds in the sky, it... rain soon.
2. When you hear a loud banging noise on the house roof, it... be hailing.
3. When you see trees bending to the ground, a violent wind... be blowing.
4. When there is a drought, there... have been no rain over a long period of time.
5. If you see a flash of lightning but can't hear thunder, it means that lightning... be as long as 150 km away from you.
6. If the streets are flooded, it... have been raining for a long time.
7. If there is a flash flood, there... have been a very heavy rain for a short time or a rapid (quick) melting of snow.
8. If a hurricane is approaching, there... be heavy rain or a flood.
9. When you see lightning flashes but cannot hear thunder during a heavy rain, the thunderstorm... have gone away.
10. Lightning... strike the same place twice.
4a Discuss in pairs, then with your class, what might happen if you are caught in a blizzard and what you can do to avoid (M36e>KaTb) the possible problems.
Model: You might (may) get frostbite. You can put on a few layers of clothes before going out, but you shouldn't stay out long.
Listen to the safety rules about winter storms and compare with your ideas.